Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Slow Roasted Salmon

I'd been thinking so much about my Salmon dish from Easter Lunch, that I thought I should just go ahead and write a recipe.

The first encounter I had with slow roasted salmon was at Aqua. A couple of months ago, we happened to be in the city, and passed by Aqua on our way home, and decided to try our luck at getting a table or sitting at the bar. We scored, and were seated at a nice table by the banquet. Typically, I'm not a fan of salmon. It can get fishy and dry if overcooked. I'm not sure what possessed me that evening, but I ended up ordering the Salmon, which came with some Bordelaise.

When it arrived, I was so surprised by how moist it was - I had never had salmon this succulent, cooked, except when it was oil poached at Masa's. Our server was kind enough to explain that the Salmon was slow roasted, which is when it dawned on me. I had read about Charlie Trotter creating this new method of roasting salmon at low heat, for only a short while, but dismissed it at that time. After tasting it, I knew I had to try it. Turns out the method is fool proof, and worked both times, even thought I went by conception, instead of a recipe.

The recipe is more of a method for cooking up the salmon, but you can pair it with ANYTHING. Since it's spring, I'd go with a ramp aioli, but at Easter, I of course served it with my Marrow & Mushroom Sauce


1 lb Salmon Fillet
1 tsp Kosher Salt

Preheat the oven to 220F for a convection oven, or 225F for a regular oven
Bring the salmon to room temperature
Rub the salt onto the belly side of the salmon
Place the salmon on a baking tray, and roast for 15 - 20 minutes
Yes, that's it! If you start to see white stuff (protein) coming out of the salmon, it's overdone, so take it out ASAP!

Enjoy alone or with some delicious sauce.

1 comment: