Thursday, August 20, 2009

Attempts to be a Rising TV Star

I hardly ever get a chance to cook Singaporean food because it's so damned tedious, and I have this urge to always make stuff from scratch. But, but, there are always exceptions to the rule. For instance, last Saturday, when I was given the chance to be on a Singaporean TV show (just after my birthday as well, so it could have been considered somewhat of a birthday present). The show was about Overseas Singaporean community getting their fix of Hawker Food, so it was inevitable that I had to make Singaporean Food.


The whole spread, mine is in the middle

The easiest thing I could think of is the quintessential Chicken Rice, which I knew would not take too much prep work, (as opposed to something like Hokkien Mee, which would render my house smelling like prawns for ever, and everyone knows I don't eat shrimp) and a Nonya Dessert that's somewhat a specialty and quite unique (you never see it in restaurants).

I hadn't done these two recipes in maybe about 3 years, so I was a bit nervous about the outcome, but really, I'm not sure why I worry so much. It was quite awesome, and many people asked for the recipes, so I'm posting it here. To save time and energy, I dumb everything down, but really, when chicken rice is so far away, you can't tell the difference. The "secret ingredient" is of course the rendered chicken fat - come on, it's only 2 tablespoons! But if you're squeamish about it, go ahead and use sesame oil instead.


Rendering Chicken Fat

Hainanese Chicken Rice

Serves 6

Chicken:
1 ea Chicken
1 oz Ginger
5 clove Garlic
2 bunches Green Onion
2 strips Pandan/Screwpine Leaves


Rice:
2 cups Thai Long Grain Rice
2 Tbs Rendered Chicken Fat
2 oz Shallot
2 oz Ginger
2 oz Garlic
2 bunches Green Onion
1 Tbs Salt
3 strips Pandan/Screwpine Leaves, Tied into a knot
2 cups Chicken Broth (from cooking the chicken)


1. Stuff the Chicken with the the rest of the ingredients
2. Bring a large pot of water (large enough to fit the chicken) to a boil
3. Put the chicken into the pot, breast side up and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until juices run clear at thighs when pierced
4. Remove the chicken from the pot, and leave to cool. If you're feeling adventurous, dunk the chicken in ice water to stop the cooking for the very authentic lukewarm feeling
5. Reserve the cooking liquid, and reduce to 2 cups for the rice
6. For the rice, process the shallot, ginger, garlic, green onion and salt to make a chicken rice paste - you can do this days ahead and store.
7. Heat the fat in a wok until smoking hot, the add the paste and stir fry until it's fragrant, but not browned
8. Add the rice to the wok and cook until the rice starts to turn opaque
9. Transfer the rice into another pot and add the chicken broth and Pandan Leaf Knot
10. Cover pot and as soon as liquid comes to a boil, turn down to a very gentle simmer for around 15 minutes
11. Fluff the rice, carve the chicken, and serve with the chili sauce (recipe below)


Chicken Rice Chili


4 oz Red Jalapenos or Fresh red chilis
1 oz Shallot
5 cloves Garlic
1 ea Lime Juice
1 cup Chicken Broth

Salt to Taste

1. Process the first 3 ingredients together
2. Add the liquids and simmer on the stove about 15 minutes
3. Season to taste

4 comments:

  1. Hainanese Chicken Rice! I've heard of it and how good it is but have never eaten it, let alone think of cooking it. But here it is!

    So I'm a little behind in my blog reading, including Skinny Chef, so forgive the late questions. However I can't believe no one has asked these questions. First, pandan/screwpine leaves without a source? Sure, Chowhound has a discussion but a little help here? Where do you get yours, since you're located close to some of us? And second, what's in the jar? One might suppose it's the chicken rice chili, but it looks jellied and the recipe doesn't suggest the final product would have that consistency.

    Keep those good recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Laura! The chicken rice was really yummy and I was fortunate enough (benefits of being the host) to enjoy it over several days. Looking forward to the coconut egg jam recipe as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff, you can get pandan leaves in the freezer section of ranch 99, under Filipino cuisine I think.

    Also, you're right the contents of the jar is the chicken rice chili, and it isn't jellied, it more of a runny sauce consistency.

    Ben, Kaya Kueh coming up - let me know how that recipe works out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I have been checking out your website. You got pretty cool stuff there. I will try out your chicken rice recipe and let you know how it is. What have you been up to lately?

    BTW you can buy fresh pandan leaves at the Lions Market. I could not find any frozen pandan from Ranch 99 anymore.

    ReplyDelete