Sunday, May 24, 2009

Chef Laura in Korea - Part 1

We arrived in Seoul after a long 12 hour flight, and Sung was kind enough to pick us up. Incheon airport is at least 60 minutes away from Seoul proper - it's not as far as it sounds, since the speed limit is 60 mph. Hungry even after having chicken chigae & chap jae just before landing, Sung took us to a "Homestyle Korean Food" Restuarant on a trendy little street in Apgujeong, lined with Korean Fashion and cute shops that remind me of Harajuku.

We had green onion pancake, korean gyoza,and two cold noodle dish - potato starch noodles in a meat broth, and Somen in a soy bean broth. It was simple, satisfying, and a perfect way to start our holiday!

Our first dinner put us into a food coma pretty quickly, and a 10 hour sleep followed. On waking up, I was hungry already (no prizes there), and tried a funny little yellow melon that's native to Korea before we headed out for brunch.

A funny melon they call "Korea Golden Melon"


Queen's Park is owned by the Paris Croissant & Baguette people, (one of the largest bakeries in South Korea) and the restaurant specializes in fresh and seasonal cuisine. The food was OK for the price, but their homemade jam really impressed me most . It was full of this natural fruity flavor, and not too sweet, almost as if they only used the naturally occurring sugar in the fruit. We had apricot & blackberry.

Brunch Appetizer - Butternut squash soup and Gravlax


To walk off lunch, we did some shopping, and then headed to the Shilla Hotel for a much needed massage. The spa itself was beautiful, but the therapist was so-so, and for dissatisfaction (on the comment card), they gave me a 10% discount.

The massage really worked up an appetite - I'm not sure why, I was just lying there... But Sung, remembering how partial I am to Kalbi, took us to her family's Kalbi place, Sung-Won. (Ok that's funny, I just realized that that's part of her name too.) It was like the most delicious Kalbi I ever had in my life. The beef was tender and the flavor was so much of the meat, and less of the marinade, which I guess is the way it should be! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to face Kalbi the same way after this! I ate my fill, needless to say.


BeforeDuring




AfterAfter many


So - Korea, Day 2, and I can already check off one of the things I came here to do: Eat good kalbi

Next on the To-Do List: Go to Busan (tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment